Skip to main content

Is This A Test?

Two things need to be true for a test to be held… or maybe I should say be valid. If one of them is missing, you have a problem. If both are, you no longer have a test. I’m not sure what you have in that case, something between a theatrical performance and a reality show? Anyway, the two key things are -

The student needs to believe that the test is an accurate evaluation of their skills. Does the test actually test the skills they have been developing? There’s certainly a place for stretching or taxing the student during a test, but generally most of the test needs to be “on topic”.

The student needs to believe that the examiner is qualified to administer and evaluate the test. If you don’t think the examiner is qualified to judge you… then what’s the point of the test? Whatever comes out the other end isn't meaningful.

I ran hard into both of these before I separated from my old Sensei. We had planned to hold a rank test, but I fell ill and had to postpone it. This was actually good luck because in the interm I got more information about the test and realized that Sensei and I were not on the same page at all.

I had thought that I would present bunkai for each of the Goju-ryu kata up to my rank – which was all but Supairenpei – complete with explanations and descriptions of why that bunkai fits with that kata at that rank. If you’ve read my post on Thematic Bunkai, my thought was that my test would be a seminar presenting those bunkai as a coherent whole. I thought this was a great “capstone” for full Sandan, the last of the early black belt "ho-" ranks.

What I realized my Sensei wanted was my interpretation of bunkai for the two newest kata I had learned – Unshu and Jion. Two non-Goju kata that I’d essentially have to make up bunkai for. I had thought we moved passed this, especially when Sensei admitted that these “research kata” were added a means to keep newer black belts engaged in training. To me, they are fillers stuffed into the lower black belt ranks from a time when dojos were packed to the rafters with students and you’d have tens of shodan and nidans in the school that you have to shepherd along. I expect that in those days a student training regularly would pass through those ranks in five or so years. This was a very different experience than the one my Sensei and I shared, which I thought was being acknowledged in our conversation setting up the test.

So this was the first hit. The test wasn’t something I was interested in because it wasn’t testing the skills I had been developing. It wasn’t showing my depth of study into Goju-ryu specifically, or how the kata build into a coherent fighting system with specific Goju-style tactics. It was just moving me back to being a Bunkai Monkey trying to puzzle out movements from random kata. My study had moved on from that, probably years before this test. It was a sign of how little interest my Sensei had in my own practice and their tendency to shut down questions that we never had a fulsome discussion of my thoughts on this.

But the real clincher was the second thing. When I had to postpone, I tried to explain what I intended to do at the test and it went over like a lead balloon. I don’t think Sensei understood what I was saying or my perspective on bunkai. I don’t know that they were really trying to comprehend.

So it was clear to me that not only was the test not going to be relevant, but the examiner wasn’t qualified for the type of test I was seeking. If they didn’t understand my thematic approach, or even the need for a different bunkai approach, or had never fully articulated their own flexible bunkai model in the first place…ugh it just wasn’t going to work. And if I did play by their rules and got the promotion (the certificate was already printed)… what would it even mean?

I was foolish to expect a different sort of test. A tiger can’t change its stripes. Now of course the person awarding rank has the right to hold whatever type of test they want. It is just that I should have expected more of the same, not a new direction in training and our relationship. I think this Sensei’s inability to change, inability to treat me like a fellow traveler or comrade on the path, is why I was their most senior student and why no one else had even attempted the Sandan test.

I did realize that they wouldn’t understand the reasons I’m laying out here. It would only have been taken as a personal attack, not a discussion of ideas or bunkai philosophies. So on the day of the test, I just showed up and said thank you, but I will no longer be training with you.

As you can probably imagine, that didn’t go over great either...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Flexible Bunkai Model

In the dojo I grew up in – and the organization I stayed with for nearly 30 years – the end goal of training was what I came to think of as the Flexible Bunkai Model . (As opposed to the Core Bunkai Model I talked about in an earlier post). In the flexible bunkai model, the student is exposed to many many MANY kata and corresponding bunkai. This dojo trained the 8 classical Goju-ryu kata plus 20 other kata from different Okinawan styles. All the kata were ones the organizations Founder learned on Okinawa – as an example, the syllabus included Sunsu kata, the final Isshin-ryu kata created by Shimabuku because our Founder trained with and was contemporaries of Tatsuo Shimabuku. I think many of the supplementary kata were like this – historical records from the founder of our organization and preserved as a part of that history. In addition to preserving these kata as a history of the organization, I thought many of them were useful and continue to train in them today. Nijushiho, Soc

Core Bunkai

 I don’t know if it has subsided yet, but there was a period of time – let’s say 2005 to 2015 – where bunkai exploded. Suddenly the karate world was all about kata applications.   I think this coincided with the maturation of the internet and social media. Suddenly there were YouTube channels and Facebook groups that really spread the word about bunkai and how to practice it. They also spread the word about bunkai books and DVDs. I really enjoyed this and think it was good for the art as a whole. I certainly feel that I took advantage of it.* The dojo I grew up in always practiced bunkai applications. It was part of the testing requirements for each kata, but that is where it ended. There were allusions to “layers” of bunkai or higher-level applications, but the kata were never revisited to extract these applications and we never did “deep dives” into a single kata. Looking back, I view many of these bunkai as superficial, block-kick-punch level bunkai. My bunkai practice today

Just a nobody...

Hello hello. Seems fitting to start with an entry about myself and what this blog is for. I’ve been training in the martial arts (specifically one art) for 30 years starting from the time I was a very young child. It’s been a constant in my life and remains one of my passions. But within the karate world I’m not really anyone special. I’m not part of an organization. I’m not a champion competitor. I don’t own a dojo and I’m not in demand on the seminar circuit. I’ve never written a book or made a DVD of my fighting methods. I don’t have my own line of karate gi. No ancient scrolls either. A trip to Okinawa is still just a line on my bucket list. I’ve risen to the rank of Sandan, 3 rd degree black belt, which is… if not a low rank, not a particularly high one. I’ve had some great experiences dabbling in other martial arts, and intend to keep doing so, but my through-line has been Okinawan Goju-ryu Karate-Do. It is the art that made me, the one that fits me best, and where I move